Tuesday, February 9, 2016
  Welcome
     Front Page
     Subscription Info
     Letter To The Editor
     Local Links
     Question of the Week
     Contact Us
This fire, at Countryside Drive, was one of two that firefighters worked in recent days that left residences a complete loss. A local church is asking for the public’s help in donating clothing for the family displaced in the home above. The other fire, Camargo-Levee Road, resulted in a fatality and another person injured. Photo courtesy Montgomery County Fire-EMS.
Fires result in 2 homes destroyed; 1 fatality
By Jamie Vinson
Advocate managing editor

A Saturday morning fire resulted in one fatality and another injury.
A single-wide trailer at 6779 Camargo-Levee Road, occupied by Michael and Eugenia Vanhoose, is considered a total loss. Michael Vanhoose remains in the hospital at the University of Kentucky following the incident and was listed in critical condition as of Monday afternoon.

Montgomery County Coroner Jimmy Adams pronounced an adult female dead at the scene at 7:05 a.m. Remains were sent to Frankfort for positive identification, which had yet to be released at press time.
Firefighters responded to the home at 5:47 a.m. Jan. 30, Fire Chief Larry Potter said.

Some callers reported hearing an explosion before firefighters arrived.
“There was a truck parked outside. We found one person who had been inside, a male ... we found him right next door. He had gotten out of the fire. He is currently still at UK. He had some burns and some respiratory issues going on,” Potter told the Advocate. “He was airlifted from here to UK.”

The scene was cleared at 8:29 a.m. and arson investigators with the state police were called in, Potter said. The sheriff’s dept. was also on hand.
No determination as to a cause of the fire had been made by press time. However, Potter said it is highly suspected that there was oxygen in the house that could have contributed to the fire.

“Someone said that one neighbor reported hearing a large explosion. It shook a residence and they said there was a large fireball. It could possibly have been something to do with smoking material that got involved with oxygen or someone could have possibly fallen asleep (while smoking),” Potter told the Advocate.

F.M. Sponcil is listed as property owner.
Just two days before, firefighters worked a fire that destroyed another home.

That fire was reported at 3:32 p.m. Jan. 28 at 85 Countryside Drive.
Potter said when crews responded the modular home was more than 50 percent involved.

“It is pretty far out there ... It sits up on a hill. A nice modular home,” the chief told the Advocate. “It is still under investigation.”

No one was home at the time of the fire. State police arson investigators were called in on that fire as well, Potter said. No determination as far as a cause of the fire has been released.

Matt and Erica Gifford were renting the home, which has been declared a total loss. The couple were living there with their four small children. It is owned by Carl and Carla Pederson.

A social media post on behalf of First United Pentecostal Church is asking for donations of clothing for the family.

The family is need of boys’ clothing size 7/8 and 2.5 shoes; Girls 5T and 10 shoes; newborn girl clothes, diapers, wipes and lotions; men’s 32/34 pants, large shirt, l0.5 shoe and 11 boot; and women’s size 7 pants, medium shirt and 7.5 shoe.

Ray and Laura McIntosh pastor the church, which is located at 3754 Levee Road.

“Please show this family how much we can come together as a community and show them our love for one another for their family. Put yourself in their shoes. Thank you and may Jesus bless all who give,” a post by April McIntosh Williams on behalf of the church, said.
Those interested in donating can text Williams at 585-7965 for drop-off information.

Potter reminds the public that fire safety is particularly important during the winter months.

“We always want to remind people to be careful with space heaters. The fire on Countryside Drive, there were several space heaters. We are not sure yet if that had anything to do with this fire and really at this point are not suspecting it, but space heaters are a concern,” the chief said.
“Wood burners ... you need to ensure proper space away from any combustibles. Also, if you are running extension cords from space heaters, be careful with those.”




Silverline E-Commerce Solutions

 
Ad
 
 
Ad
 
 
Ad